Allergic Reactions from Mold in Air Ducts

Allergic reactions from mold are more common than you might think. Most people just write them off as hay fever or seasonal allergies, when the reality is that the source is actually much more controllable.

Mold is fairly common in our everyday environment. Most people come into contact with mold every day, but it’s usually not an issue. This is because mold is very prevalent in the outdoor world. When mold starts to concentrate in one area in your home, that’s when it becomes a concern.

Having some mold in your home is nearly unavoidable. There’s always a little bit of harmless mold. Usually around kitchens or bathrooms. It will often stay where it is and is minimized during routine cleaning.

When the mold starts to concentrate in your ducts and get spread around the house, that’s when it becomes a problem.

How Does Mold Get in The Duct System?

There are a few ways this can happen, but the most common way is either through the air intake, or the air-conditioning unit.

If your air intake is located near standing water, you can bet mold is growing and spores are being sucked into the home.

In the case of air conditioners, they feature cooling coils with condensation, and if not maintained routinely, they will also produce mold. This mold is then distributed throughout the house via the HVAC system.

How Do You Get Rid of the Mold?

Getting a professional in to have a look is the first step. Any mold they find will be removed. After that, a thorough duct cleaning once a year is the best possible prevention for mold build up.

If you haven’t had a duct cleaning in a while, have a professional check it out. You may be surprised what you have growing in there.

If you don’t like surprises, schedule a routine maintenance and cleaning program with a reputable air duct cleaning company like Advanced Air. Our professional teams can make sure your ducts are free of mold, and any other unwanted items!

Call us today for a free phone estimate – (613) 831 9695